5885 South 116th Street, Hales Corners, Wisconsin 53130
Scenes of Farm & Village
We hope you enjoy the following historic photographs. You can enlarge any of them by clicking on the image.
Threshing Rig, circa 1912
Ready to move to the next farm, Harry Berger owned one of several threshers in the area. Notice the steam engine, the thresher and the water wagon at the side.
Hospital Ambulance - early 1900s
Brach's Animal Hospital was built and operated by Dr. Max Brach at the intersection of Janesville Road and Forest Home Avenue, on land that is now the site of the Emanuel United Church of Christ parking lot at about 10635 W. Forest Home Avenue. It was reportedly the largest veterinary hospital in the United States. The building, constructed in 1911, was made of cement blocks and had cement shingles. The hospital, used primarily for horses, contained an operating table and conducted an ambulance service for disabled animals.
Unloading Boxcar - early 1900s
Norman and Ben Schmidt, owners of Schmidt Bros. Feed Store, unload sacks of feed from the train. This stretch of track was located on the east side of 108th Place. The feed store was located on the corner of 108th Place and Janesville Road. Later, their cousin, Tom Schmidt, established the Tom Schmidt I.G.A. across the street at 10820 W. Janesville Road.
Sleigh Ride - early 1900s
Gladys Dreyfuss (Dinneen) and Etta Schubring (Nacker), in a cutter with a doll in-between them, in front of the Dreyfuss Hotel. The hotel was located on the west side of Forest Home Avenue on land that is now the east parking lot of State Financial Bank. The Dreyfuss Hotel had 18 bedrooms and was noted for its delicious chicken dinners. For a different view of the Dreyfuss Hotel, see the third photo at Turn-of-the-Century.
More historic photographs can be found in the book Hales Corners Wisconsin a History of the Village Since 1837 available from the Hales Corners Historical Society (go to Publications ).
|Summer Kitchen||Turn-of-the-Century||Farm & Village||Ben Hunt Cabin|| Current