Hales Corners Historical Society
5885 South 116th Street, Hales Corners, Wisconsin 53130

 Turn-of-the-Century 
Hales Corners

We hope you enjoy the following photographs from turn-of-the-century Hales Corners.  You can enlarge any of the photographs by clicking on the image.

Passenger car of the T.M.E.R. & L loading passengers near the Bosch Hotel at the corner of Janesville Road and Highway 100. (early 1900s).

The Bosch Hotel was built in 1904-05 by Herman Bosch to serve passengers on the Rapid Transit which had a station immediately across the street to the east.  The Bosch Hotel and Tavern was the site of many parties with a dance hall on the second floor that remained in operation until 1930.  In 1995-96, the building was restored by a private owner; it is now "The Bosch," a restaurant and tavern.

The rail service was owned and operated by The Milwaukee, Light, Heat and Traction Co. (M.L.H.& T.).  Later the company was known as the T.M.E.R.& L., The Milwaukee Electric Railroad and Light Co.

~ ~ ~


The Opera House - 1908

The Opera House was built by Adam Conrad near his saloon.  It was located at about 10539 W. Forest Home Avenue.  Spring and fall dances were well advertised and attended and the first movies (silent) seen in Hales Corners were shown here.  Political rallies were also held at the opera house but no operas were ever performed.

~ ~ ~


Beautiful Downtown Hales Corners - 1909

This view is looking northeast from the triangle along Forest Home Avenue toward Milwaukee.  To the left is the Dreyfuss Hotel with its flagpole, to the right is John Schubring's Saloon and the residences of Henry Schmidt and August Ruehle.

~ ~ ~


Hales Corners Elementary School - 1900

The first Hales Corners school was constructed in 1844-45 on the triangle formed by Janesville Road, Forest Home Avenue and Highway 100.  The second school, a white one-story frame structure with room for 30 students,  was built on the same site.

The photograph above shows the third school, built about 1900 at the same location.  It was a two-story clapboard building with a bell in the steeple.  Primary classes were held on the first floor.  The upper grades, as well as a few high school classes, were held on the second floor.  This building was destroyed by fire in the 1915-16 school year.

~ ~ ~
Want to see more?

More historic photographs can be found in the book Hales Corners Wisconsin a History of the Village Since 1837 available from the Hales Corners Historical Society (go to Publications ).

Summer Kitchen
Turn-of-the-Century
Farm & Village
Ben Hunt Cabin
Current Events
Membership
Publications
Historical Links
Home  Newsletters